Friday, August 21, 2009

Personality in words...

One of my personal favorite field trips so far occurred this morning. We went to the stationary store called "The Stationary Company." Apparently, the written word is coming back in style. It's just so impersonal to get an e-vite these days. It's heartwarming to get a personal note.
They had the most beautiful paper including 5 different sizes of personal stationary, business cards, calling cards, and books and books of different kinds of invitations. We learned about the different printing processes including engraving, embossing, and offset printing. We learned the differences in the occasion that you would use each size of stationary and where to write on it. I've been wanting to get some stationary for a long time but haven't had a permanent address to put on it so I'm still waiting on that but I am considering getting some nice non-addressed ones made. The absolute highlight though that I loved and just am dying to get is a glass pen. I saw one in St. Louis and had never seen one before but fell in love with it's artisan look. It turned up again in the store today and they were beautiful. They can come with different scented inks and they can write up to half a page before taking another dip. Quite impressive.
My birthday is tomorrow so you now know what to get me if you haven't already:) heehee. Speaking of my birthday, my parents were so sweet to send me flowers today. They were absolutely gorgeous. Mike and Sonia sent me a wonderful card with sweet money in it. Even the staff at Starkey signed a card for me.

After all the goodies of gifts around lunchtime, we went on another field trip to "The Brass Bed" which is a high end, amazing bedding, linen, furniture, & accessory store. Fanstatic Egyptian cotton. It's going to be hard to restrain from spending the 2,000 dollars to sleep like a princess on the softest, most comfortable sheets ever. But, I think I'll survive. Maybe one day. I will say one thing about them though- they are said to last 15 plus years. My hundred dollar ones from Macy's sure didn't last 3 months before they were all bally and uncomforable. Something to think about. Oh and they are washable and come in environmentally sensitive companies from Italy or Portugal.:)

1 comment: